History of the Napa Valley Model Railroad Historical Society

    Napa Valley Model Railroad Historical Society, Inc. was formed in 1955 for the purposes of constructing an HO Scale layout and to advance the hobby of model railroading in the Napa Valley and surrounding areas. The organization was incorporated in 1966.
    The Napa Valley Model Railroad Historical Society has had several layouts in various locations. Our early layouts included small portable layouts in the Main Exhibition Building of the fairgrounds during the fair, and a layout in the old West Napa, Southern Pacific station. In the early 1960's we had a "permanent" layout in the long narrow buildings in the north west corner of the fairgrounds, and by the mid 1960's we were building a large layout in the basement of a barracks at the Veterans Home in Yountville. In 1970, we moved back to the fairgrounds in Napa to our present location.
    The fair management donated two quonset that were moved to their present location, and a two story 40' x 40' building was built by the members connecting them. The Napa Valley Northern layout occupies this 3600 square foot "L" shaped room. The 1600 square foot second floor serves as a meeting area, library, and workshop.